Over the previous 7 months, I’ve been doing a weekly problem on a new weblog known as ‘Discover Your Spark’.
My purpose with it’s to write down a brand new ‘immediate’ weblog submit each week for 52 weeks on the subject of serving to individuals ‘discover their spark’ (and to assist me discover mine too).
On this submit, I believed I’d share a few of what I’ve discovered (and relearned) by means of doing this problem.
1. I’ve cherished beginning one thing new
Whereas I really like ProBlogger and Digital Pictures College (my important blogs), it’s been refreshing to get again to writing one thing I’m keen about.
2. Having a ‘problem’
Committing publicly to write down a weekly submit for a yr) has been very motivating for me and has helped me keep on process.
3. I’ve actually loved utilizing the Ghost running a blog platform
Whereas I normally encourage new bloggers to start out their weblog on a platform that they management and Ghost is a hosted service – there’s additionally one thing fairly releasing about not having to work out the tech challenges when beginning one thing new. I don’t assume I’d have began this undertaking if I needed to do it by myself server, with my very own design, and many others. I made a decision after I began that I’d not spend a lot time ‘tweaking’ design or options and make investments 99% of my time into creating content material. I believe this has paid off huge time.
- Ghost not solely offers you with a running a blog platform however a e-newsletter. Being able to hit publish and know that the brand new submit mechanically additionally goes out through e-mail in a e-newsletter is fairly cool.
- Whereas I’m not monetising what I do, it’s also possible to have paid membership tiers to supply premium content material to paid subscribers, which is fairly cool.
- Whereas Ghost is new(ish), it’s nice to see that they’re persevering with to develop the platform. In the previous couple of months, they’ve added new options, together with feedback, new stats/insights, viewers suggestions and many others.
4. I’ve cherished the method of researching, gathering concepts and creating content material once more
I’ve tried quite a lot of sorts of kinds of content material over the past 29 weeks (completely different lengths, curating some content material, utilizing quotes and many others) and have cherished the tempo of 1 considerate submit every week. I’ve in all probability gone longer/deeper into the content material than I had anticipated after I began the problem, however I’ve actually loved the long-form strategy
I’ve taken the strategy with this weblog of reporting what I’m studying reasonably than attempting to come back throughout as an knowledgeable. This voice has served me effectively prior to now, however significantly with the subjects I’m masking (which I suppose border on private growth), I believe it’s been vital.
5. Ranging from scratch is tough!
I had forgotten how onerous it’s to take a position a lot time and power into creating content material solely to listen to a convincing silence after you hit publish. Ranging from scratch with constructing an viewers after which getting engagement from that viewers is tough!
Whereas I’m writing primarily for my very own growth, I believe I’d maybe taken without any consideration the fantastic group I’ve grown over time on my different blogs.
I believe that with my strategy of investing all of my efforts into writing, I’ve fallen quick in selling the content material as a lot as I’ve with earlier blogs within the early years. I believe I have to tweak this strategy.
6. I’m glad I brainstormed subjects earlier than I began the problem
Earlier than I began, I used thoughts map software program to create 52 subjects that I might write on over the yr. I’ve since provide you with different concepts and discarded among the authentic ones, nevertheless it has been very useful to have that financial institution of concepts to attract on when I’ve had weeks the place I’ve not felt as impressed to write down, or not too long ago after I travelled with the household for just a few weeks. Right here’s a podcast episode I recorded about utilizing thoughts maps in your running a blog.
All in all, the problem has been a really rewarding course of for me thus far. I’m studying heaps about running a blog and the subjects I’ve written about.
For these desirous to comply with alongside – the brand new weblog is at https://find-your-spark.ghost.io/
In the event you do need to begin a weblog, I’d advocate signing up for my FREE Final Information to Beginning a Weblog Course.